Makes- 4 cups
- 1 cup basmati Rice
- 1 cup grated beetroot
- 3/4 cup onions, Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon sticks
- 3-4, cloves
- 2-3, green chillies
- 1-2 teaspoon, sambhar powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Clean, wash and soak basmati rice and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add cumin seeds.
- As they crackle add cinnamon, clove, and bay leaf.
- Saute on medium flame for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onions and chopped green chilies.
- Saute them on medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add grated beetroot, rice, sambhar powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add enough hot water such that water is 2 inches above rice. Add salt to taste. Mix everything well and cover the pan, cook it on medium flame.
- Cover the pan to continue with cooking on low flame till the rice is done
- Delicious Beetroot rice is ready.
- Serve it warm with plain curds or raita of your choice.