One of the most important cue as a buyer to buying fresh, seasonal food is whether the food item is easily available at your “local sabjiwala” and the price at which it is available to you is super reasonable.
Most of these foods are available by nature for the following two reasons
- To Boost Immunity
- To provide warmth or rather counter the cold temperature with just enough calories.
Let’s go through some of the major ones that you can keep an eye on especially during this winter to get maximum nutrition and immunity
- Root Vegetables: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Radish. No wonder you will see the cart of roasted sweet potato and restaurant having gajar ka halwa and mooli ka paratha in their specials menu
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Remember the Sarson ka saag being made specially during this time? The green leafy vegetable’s ( like palak, bhatua, laal maath )rates are at their all time low
- Bajra: Being the special cereal of the winter
- Kulith: Usually tagged as a food for removing kidney stones, this is one of the most powerful pulses too
- Ghee: Provides warmth, lubrication and a moisturizer at this time.
- Gond and Til: The gond and Til ka Laddoo is an all time favourite. Infact it is a must in festivals like lodhi and sankranti
- Fruits: Amla, Custard Apple, Guava, Apples, Oranges are some of the fruits that you will find at this time
- Jaggery: Preferred during winter than any other season.
Including diverse, seasonal foods as per the time of the year will not only leave you healthy for that particular season but will also prove to be lighter on the pocket for you.